At 23% I'm doing great!

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Boooya! My cholesterol is DOWN!!!

When I had blood work done 2 months ago, my doctor told me that my cholesterol was way too high and if I wasn't able to get it down over the next couple months, he would have to medicated me.

He gave me a guideleine for a low-fat diet, and ever since that appointment I've been taking fish-oil pill every day and religiously sticking to that diet.

Honestly, it's not hard at all to eat this way. I already like a lot of the foods that I'm supposed to eat, such as: beans, brown rice, fish, etc. It's just been a little difficult to eat red meat so infrequently. I miss my ribs and chuck steaks!!!!! (Yes, I still eat them, but rarely).

I felt like I'd done a great job sticking to this diet, I'd done a lot of research on heart-healthy meal plans and was fairly confident that I'd put together a decent meal plan for myself. I was just very nervous that I'd go to the doctor and he'd tell me that diet wasn't working and that I'd need to take medicine, which I really wasn't interested in. Unfortunately, high cholesterol runs in my family. My grandmother has always eaten low-fat foods and sticks to an extremely healthy diet, however, because of genetics, she has high cholesterol.

I was afraid that I'd be in the same boat, and diet wouldn't work for me either. Thankfully, I went to the doctor this past Friday, and he told me that I brought my numbers down significantly! He also told me that I'd lost 7 pounds in the past two months. He asked how I managed to lose so much weight in a short amount of time. I was like - you put me on this diet! I stuck to it, and I guess this is what happens when you eat well and exercise consistently.

I really think that if people want to lose weight by sticking to a normal, balanced way of eating, they should start eating the way I do. I eat great food, I'm never hungry, and the weight has been dropping consistently!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger Sara from BLY said…

    Dieting is really all about a lifetstyle change; most ppl do not realise this.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home